Monday, July 20, 2015

Hospital Bag for baby

We're in the HOME STRETCH! 

Now that I'm 38 weeks and have induction set for this Saturday (I'll be 39 weeks then!) I've got my hospital bag packed! We spent two nights in the hospital when I had Layla and had no idea what I would really need, so poor Chance had to run back and forth between the house, store and hospital.

This time around, I've got it down. 

For the baby:

The hospital supplies a little t-shirt, hat, endless blankets, all the diapers, wipes, snot suckers, bathing tools, and medicines you could possibly need, so forget all that crap. If you're not planning to breastfeed, they also supply formula and bottles, so leave those at home too. 

New babies are tiny, but holding even a 6 pound baby for a stretch can get uncomfortable, especially for mom who's exhausted, and may have had a c-section. The pillows in the hospital are COMPLETE ass, so no support is given there, which is why I'm taking my boppy pillow this time around. It'll also help take some stress out of letting younger kiddos hold the baby, because you know she'll be supported everywhere. (I made this one, but you pick these up anywhere!)

With Layla I packed a bunch of snacks, like trail mix bars, beef jerky, Special K bars....that was stupid. No one wants to eat cardboard after delivery, and Whataburger is a block away! So scratch that. 

I also made the mistake the first time around by bringing cutesy, complicated outfits for Layla to wear, but that was a waste because I sent Chance after plain little onesies by that evening. For this baby I'm taking two little elastic bottomed gowns. 

If you're a first time mom, I can't stress enough how great these are!! The elastic is tight enough to conceal their little feet, but can be pulled up for a quick diaper change. Layla wore these even until she was crawling because they would sit comfortably around her knees. You can NOT have too many of these! 

I'm also taking socks and a hat that's much cuter than the one the hospital supplies, plus a receiving blanket for pics with all of our visitors. The hat and blanket are both sheer vanity on my part, so if you care nothing about this, feel free to leave them both out because the hospital will supply both for you!


I had every intention of showing what all I took for myself but then woke up at 4 am with contractions so I ran out of time! Some highlights that I couldn't have lived without:

*My ultra plush Barefoot Dreams blanket. It's just nice to be able to toss the scratchy hospital blanket aside and sleep under something from home. (It helps that Barefoot Dreams blankets are complete luxury, and this one just so happens to be a gift from one of the best humans on the planet!)

*Always Infinity pads. Hospital-issued pads have no sticky back! 

*super comfortable full coverage cotton panties. The mesh ones from the hospital were not working for me. 

*Phone and iPad charger

*Comfy lounge clothes for receiving visitors

*Forgiving outfit to wear home. I chose a black maxi dress. You'd like to think your favorite, prepregnancy skinny jeans will zip right up, but unless you've sold your soul to the fallen angel that's not going to happen! 

Have I forgotten anything? Have any cool items to add? Let me know!

Until next time!
XOXO
Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment